Instant Digital Card
Bring new users to your library in just 30 seconds with Instant Digital Card
160 million. That’s the number of people in the United States without a library card.
As libraries like yours transform to better serve their communities, half the nation has yet to discover and benefit from their valuable programs and online services available for free, anytime and anywhere.
That’s why we developed the Instant Digital Card (IDC) feature: To connect readers with your digital collection in just 30 seconds. It’s another way OverDrive is helping libraries reach and engage more of their communities.
Contact your Account Manager for more information.
How it works
- When your library enables IDC, users are presented with the option to get access to your digital collection using their mobile phone number. Users see a prompt on the log-in screen of your library’s OverDrive-powered website and in the OverDrive and Libby apps. Your library just needs to provide us with a list of zip codes to define your service area.
- Users provide their name and mobile number, and OverDrive looks up their address using a third-party service called Cognito. If their recent address matches a zip code in your library’s service area, we issue them access to your digital collection using their mobile number to sign in.
- Before we issue access using a mobile number, we send a one-time code via SMS. This ensures that only someone in possession of the mobile device can use that number to register.
- Libraries manage new sign ups in an OverDrive-hosted portal called User Login Manager. Libraries are provided with the mobile number, name and address that are used to verify each user’s eligibility, and can use this information to reach out and invite them to sign up for a full library card.
- Access to issued mobile numbers has a standard expiration of one year, but libraries can customize this to meet their needs.