No matches were found
Try browsing our topic.
We plan to wind down the legacy OverDrive app and make Libby the primary way for users to enjoy your digital library.
As a first step, we will remove the OverDrive app from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Microsoft Store in February 2022.
Our next step will be to actively encourage OverDrive app users to switch to Libby, with a goal of moving most over by the end of 2022.
We believe that Libby is the best reading experience for all users. With valuable partner and user feedback, we’re constantly enhancing the app and adding new features to engage your readers.
We also want to make it easier to promote your digital library to your users. Having one app will simplify how you train users, answer questions, and stay up to date with changes.
During the first phase, existing OverDrive app users will be able to continue browsing, borrowing, and enjoying titles from your library in the app.
Yes, eventually. It’s our goal to have most OverDrive app users migrated to Libby by the end of 2022. We’ll keep you updated about plans and timing for officially retiring the OverDrive app and provide plenty of notice to ensure a smooth transition.
- Easy onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class ebook reader that supports comics, magazines, and read-alongs
- Push notifications for ready holds, new magazine issues, and more
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay (Note: Android Auto is supported in both apps.)
- Sonos speaker integration
- Support for “Extras,” including streaming video services, educational courses, and more
There are many accessible features and functionalities in Libby today, including:
- Text resizing based on device settings
- Support for inverted colors based on device settings
- Support for dark mode on iOS and Android
- Increased contrast throughout the app
- Support for multiple font options in ebooks
- Keyboard shortcuts in the ebook reader and audiobook player
- Screen reader support
We continue to work toward our goal of offering a delightful, best-in-class experience in Libby for users with diverse accessibility needs. The following items are in active development with a goal of completing them by the end of 2021:
- Conforming with WCAG 2.1 Level AA Success Criteria to the greatest extent possible
- Comprehensive screen reader support
- Design refinements and simplification for all
- Text-to-speech in ebooks while using a screen reader
- Ability to disable haptics
- Reducing font variation
- Configurable orientation
Yes. Users can still browse, borrow, and enjoy titles from your library’s OverDrive website.
What does this change mean for the OverDrive video titles my library has purchased? Will they ever be available in Libby?
Your OverDrive Video titles will continue to be available from your library’s OverDrive website and the OverDrive app for existing users. We will share more details about the future of OverDrive Video as we move forward.
We are excited about our new partnership with Kanopy and encourage you to explore their video offerings if you haven’t already.
As a reminder, titles that are only available in the PDF format cannot currently be downloaded directly through the OverDrive app since they require Adobe Digital Editions software. We are currently developing a solution to make PDF-only titles also available in OverDrive Read so that Libby users will be able to access them directly in the app. Stayed tuned for more information.
We’re developing a fresh solution for title recommendations in Libby that’s founded on partner and user feedback. Once this feature is available, users will be able to express interest in titles not offered by your library. Then, in Marketplace, you’ll see that data to help inform your collection development. Stay tuned for more details.
In the meantime, users can recommend titles via your library’s OverDrive website or the OverDrive app.
Libby is not currently available to download from the Amazon App Store. OverDrive has requested information and a timeline for approval from Amazon but has not yet received an update. In the meantime, Kindle Fire users can stream ebooks and audiobooks in their browser from libbyapp.com or your library’s OverDrive website.
Users can also deliver Kindle Books to a Fire tablet from a device that supports Libby or from libbyapp.com (US only).
For now, the OverDrive app will also continue to be available from the Amazon App Store.
During the first phase, existing users who have already downloaded OverDrive for Windows or OverDrive for Mac will be able to continue to use those applications without disruption. As of February 2022, we will no longer support new downloads of that software.
Will existing OverDrive app users be able to reinstall the app after it’s been removed from the app stores?
If needed, yes. However, we encourage users who are having trouble with the OverDrive app to try Libby instead.
Once the OverDrive app is removed from app stores:
- New users will only be able to download Libby.
- Existing OverDrive app users can continue using the OverDrive app for now.
We truly believe Libby offers the best experience for all users and encourage you to contact your Account Manager with any questions or concerns.
Yes. Help.overdrive.com will continue to offer help articles and videos for OverDrive app users.
We are committed to supporting your staff and users during this transition. As a first step, we recommend updating your library’s website and marketing materials to promote Libby instead of the OverDrive app.
To help you prepare, we’ve created:
Looking for additional information or resources? Reach out to your Account Manager any time.
After the OverDrive app has been removed from app stores, we will evaluate feedback and usage data to inform the timing for next steps.
We’ll keep you updated about plans and timing for officially retiring the OverDrive app. We’ll provide plenty of notice to help ensure the transition is smooth for you and your users.