readers with Libby
To help your library welcome more users to Libby, the legacy OverDrive app is being discontinued in early 2023.
This change will simplify how you promote your digital collection, train your staff, support your users, and promote the best reading experience for everyone, Libby.
As a first step, the OverDrive app was removed from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and Microsoft Store on February 23, 2022.
As a next step, starting in July 2022, OverDrive app users will be actively encouraged to switch to Libby.
OverDrive app users will see a message in the app prompting them to make the switch with a link to a resource page about the transition to Libby.
Later this year, this in-app message will be updated to remind your users about this change.
Get the App
Download Libby to get started
We’ve got the answers
Learn all about Libby
Marketing & Outreach
Promote Libby to your users
Get marketing kits
Reasons to love Libby
Reading a magazine
Listening to an audiobook
Discovering your next favorite read
Browsing a catalog guide
- Easy onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- Best-in-class ebook reader and audiobook player
- Wish list syncing
- Push notifications
- Support for multiple world languages
- Get access to extra learning or entertainment resources (like Kanopy, Craftsy, Universal Class, Indieflix, and more) from your library
- Sonos speaker integration
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support
What’s on the roadmap:
- A new way for users to express interest in titles that aren’t in your collection—planned for later this year
- More ways for libraries to communicate with their users through the app
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s changing in July 2022?
Starting the week of July 25, we will actively encourage OverDrive app users to switch to Libby. OverDrive app users will see a message prompting them to make the switch along with a link to a resource page that talks about the great features in Libby and provides help getting started.
How will users be notified about this change?
Beginning the week of July 25, OverDrive app users will see the following message in the app:
The message will link to an informational page about Libby features, FAQs, and next steps for getting started with Libby.
We encourage you to use the Transitioning to Libby marketing kit we’ve created to encourage your users to switch to Libby.
Resources and next steps
Transition to Libby Marketing Kit
Libby Logos & Suggested Website Copy
Staff Announcement Template
User Training Presentation Templates